New Starbucks Odyssey loyalty program 'occurs to be constructed on blockchain and web3' • TechCrunch
To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s largest and most important tales delivered to your inbox every day at three p.m. PDT, subscribe right here.
completely happy new week, startup nerds!
Tomorrow (Tuesday), we have not one, however two Twitter dwell occasions taking place, and we’re captivated with each of ’em. At eight:00 a.m. PDT / eleven:00 a.m. EDT, we’re talking with Andrew Chan about why Gen Z VCs are trash, and at 12:00 p.m. PDT / three:00 p.m. EDT, we’re talking with M13 associate Anna Barber about what at the second’s founders can be taught from the dot-com bubble bursting.
The TechCrunch extreme three
- 2001, a Starbucks Odyssey: In August, Starbucks bought issues percolating with plans for a blockchain-based mostly loyalty program and NFT group. at the second, the espresso massive brews up further pleasure, unveiling Starbucks Odyssey. Sarah has extra on this steamy, sizzling cup of rewards.
- Twitter vs. Elon Musk, half 265: Ivan writes that “the third time is the appeal” for Elon Musk’s attorneys, who delivered a third termination discover to Twitter regarding the severance price made to former safety head Peiter “Mudge” Zatko in June, arguing that this movement was in violation of Musk’s proposed settlement to amass the social media massive. Or so as that they thought. Twitter is denying this breached the settlement.
- Africa’s sizzling and heavy fintech sector: Kippa, a Nigerian monetary administration app for retailers, closed on $eight.4 million in new funding. Tage experiences that Kippa already has 500,000 retailers using its app since launching final June.
Startups and VC
EV truck agency Nikola merged with VectoIQ in a SPAC in June 2020 with a $29 billion valuation. Trevor Milton, ex-CEO of Nikola, begins his fraud trial, which serves as a warning to hazard-loving buyers who would throw money at an group earlier than it begins delivering merchandise or bringing in income, Rebecca experiences.
“the exact actuality is that in case you’re a Silicon Valley-based mostly enterprise agency, no LP at your annual meeting goes to ask you, ‘How did you miss agency X in Columbus?’ Like, that’s not gonna happen. however they might ask you, ‘How did you miss agency Y that was in Silicon Valley?’ They don’t should miss these issues of their yard,” defined Chris Olsen in a fascinating interview with Connie. Olsen spent six years with Sequoia Capital in California earlier than co-founding Drive Capital in Columbus, Ohio, in 2013.
Tangentially associated, for our metropolis spotlight: Minneapolis final week, Haje hosted a panel discussing What Minneapolis buyers are wanting for (hint: it’s not simply Minnesota startups).
right here’s a quantity of extra for ya:
For LatAm price orchestration startups, market fragmentation is a blessing in disguise
In Latin America, e-commerce is affected by extreme fraud costs. Scarcely 20% of adults have a financial institution card, and a lot of who do aren’t in a place to make the most of them internationally.
It’s additionally true that e-commerce is rising faster there than in a single other area for the rationale that pandemic started. in accordance with one research, on-line gross sales in Latin America will generate $379 billion in a 32% yr-over-yr enhance.
“The funds panorama in Latin America seems hopelessly fragmented and riddled with fraud,” says Rocio Wu, a principal at F-Prime Capital.
“however, we think about that fragmentation actually provides an limitless alternative for vertically constructed-in funds orchestration startups to grab rather so a lot of worth.”
(TechCrunch+ is our membership program, which helps founders and startup teams get forward. you may enroll right here.)
massive Tech Inc.
all of us know you missed getting your Apple information repair over the weekend, so the group, collectively with Zack, Ivan, Sarah and Romain, bought here collectively to carry you some tales associated to iOS sixteen. First are 5 new safety and privateness options adopted by “nifty” options you don’t should miss. Then every little thing you wished to discover out about Lock visual display unit widgets and the method downloading iOS sixteen will flip your iPhone proper into a extra private gadget and at final, the skinny on Apple Passkey.
- Eyeing India: That’s precisely what Google is planning on doing with a quantity of of the manufacturing for its Pixel smartphones, Manish writes.
- What to not depart in your lodge room: not sure how one can simply “discover” a Meta Quest professional prototype, however that’s what a online sport streamer in Mexico says occurred. Amanda has extra.
- Nope: Can’t say Amazon didn’t try. The e-commerce massive is urging the eu Union to merely settle for its supply to finish an antitrust probe into its use of third-get together information. Natasha L writes that some advocacy teams are calling Amazon’s supply “weak, imprecise and stuffed with loopholes.”
- Chocolate, salty balls maybe?: transfer over capsules and okay-cups. espresso balls are right here.discover out what Haje wished to say regarding the Swiss-based mostly CoffeeB machine.